A Blog for the DYI Theatre Program!

Our opening night is coming soon!

Our budget is tight!

But wait! Let's use creativity and lots of ingenuity!

Let's design our play by thinking out of the box.

Some quick and simple scenic solutions by Mr. Lowell at the Sloan Theatre.



Thursday, August 26, 2010

The "Marilyn Monroe" Effect

When we produced the musical comedy "The Return to the Forbidden Planet", there was a song about Miranda, the young female lead from Shakespeare's "The Tempest". Our director put her in a Marilyn Monroe style wig and dress...so I couldn't help but do the "Some Like it Hot" gag on the subway grate!

Notice in this photo - she is standing over my stage-right trap door. Click photo to enlarge:

EXPEDIANT SOLUTION:
I needed a quick, simple and cheap solution for a trap filler. It had to be a porous grate yet it must safely hold actors during the show. So the obvious trick that popped into my head was to use a plastic-style industrial shipping pallet.

I went to the local "garden mulch store", where they grind up old wooden shipping pallets to make colored mulch for landscaping. They were nice enough to give me a dozen of the plastic kind for free! These are the heavy duty PVC plastic pallets made by the seaport of Hong Kong for shipping one ton engines and such. I used most of the pallets to build my elevated bandstand for this production. But I picked the nicest one to cover my trap door opening.

The plastic pallet was about 3-1/2 feet square. I only had to trim about 1/2 an inch off each side to get it to drop perfectly into my opening in the stage floor. It was very secure and very safe. I anchored it in place with a few 3 inch drywall screws at the corners. I painting it to match the science-fiction theme. (It had latex primer paint inside and out as a flame retardant).

Anyhow, when the "Some Like it Hot" gag occurs in the song, I had a crew kid under the stage blast her with an electric leaf blower! (The boys on crew would fight over this particular job). The loud on-stage rock band easily covered the sound of the leaf blower. The effect was terrific every time. It got the intended laugh from the audience!


BONUS!
Later in "Forbidden Planet" I needed a dramatic effect for the entrance of the evil mad scientist, Prospero. So I had the crew blast him from under the stage with a Rosco smoke machine, boosted by a fan. I also had a couple PAR cans under the grate with green gels. The effect was cool, and the actor really milked it for laughs.
Click to enlarge:

Notes: High school actors - Greensboro Day School. Director - Ruthie Tutterow. Set/Lighting Designer - Dana Lowell.

No comments:

Post a Comment